Friday, December 15, 2006

Sorry that it has been a while since I’ve written. Life has been very busy here, and continues to be, so this will be a quick update. I am doing well, lots of things have been happening…one big and sadly unsuccessful raid, weddings, christmas parties, friends departing back to the states for the holidays. We have been moving and shaking here. So much so that the other night when we got home I fell asleep on my bed before I even ate dinner or did anything, because I was so exhausted. But it’s a good exhausted.
I’d like to tell you guys about one huge thing that has been taking up my time. Our office is in the process of doing a program evaluation for the aftercare (social work) department to measure how effective our services are that we provide for our rescued victims. Now, this is a task that I would much prefer to pass up. Statistics was my least favourite class in undergrad, and I more or less cursed it as I endured three of its miserable courses. However, here it comes to haunt me despite my best attempts to evade it.
But, as I have been going through the laborious process of doing data entry and getting ready to run tests on these surveys, I have been confronted with some very cool things. The surveys contain lots of questions about what was helpful to the victims, etc. and on quite a few surveys, one of the most meaningful things for the victims has been their release from bonded labour. It is amazing to see that in their words and know that it has remained as a life changing event for them. This may seem as though it would be obvious to some of you reading this for them to say that, but it is just a powerful thing to be able to read it and know that you are a part of that life change for people. And all of you, as my supporters are part of it as well.
I just wanted to share that with you all, and bring some joy and encouragement to your Christmas season. I will try and update again soon and throw in some pictures.

No comments: