Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I broke into my bottle of olive oil tonight. My three ounce two dollar bottle of olive oil. I was attempting to make pasta and it was necessary. I made my pasta. An assortment of jumbled together ingredients that would not necessarily combine in the real world. Penne noodles (imported from my trip to Thailand because they are expensive here), Green Pepper (called Capsicum here), garlic, and a chopped up tomato sautéed in the olive oil. I cooked the pasta once the water had been boiling for a few minutes and had boiled all of the germs away. I drained the water down our sink which has no garbage disposal (they don’t exist here). I combined my ingredients and seasoned them with a packet of oregano pizza seasoning from our ordered in pizza the other night. Grated cheese for pasta does not exist here either. Pasta sauce does, but is very over priced. And for what it makes in price, it lacks in taste.
I came upstairs and hopped onto our secret internet connection. I began emailing and looking for pictures of a hair cut. I have caved, or rather my hair is the longest it has been since middle school, and I made myself a hair appointment. At a place called “Bounce”. We’ll see how this goes. I decided to use a visual aid since I can assume that verbal aid will be lacking. I also looked for flights to Dubai. I am really wanting to be able to go and visit a friend there in a month or two. The culture and life style here is very oppressive and can be consuming if you don’t give yourself a mental and physical break every few months. The internet connection died. I’m left with two pictures that I found-has anyone ever tried to find hair cut pictures on the internet? Its actually quite difficult.
At some point tonight as I am going to bed or even already asleep, I will be plagued by water dripping onto the tin roof outside my window from a drain a few stories above me. This drain-where ever it is-has become my arch enemy of night time. It claps down onto the tin roof and keeps me awake with its untimely rhythms. I’ve become convinced that Chinese water torture probably is horrible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet your hair looks gorgeous. Hang in there, your cause us good and the dripping water will stop. I love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi kid
lets see some pictures of that hair. if you want i will have a friend of mine send you some hair cut pictures.

regards
Bernie

Anonymous said...

if it taste bad just add some garlic. the more you add the better it will taste.

regards
Bernie